Though the weather is getting chilly, a grill master’s work is never done. Of course, there’s a grilled combination perfect for the colder weather. And, as we like to say, “Where there’s a will, there’s a grill!” You’ll find that this zesty soup delivers the BBQ flavor you crave in the dead of winter, perfect for warming your bones and your taste buds. Check out the recipe:
For the grilled cheese:
2 slices of thick Texas toast per person
2 slices sharp cheddar cheese per person (Or more if desired. You can never have too much cheese!)
1/4 cup butter, melted
For the saucy soup:
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 large white onion cut into wedges
2 cups chicken stock
1 28-oz can whole tomatoes
1/4 cup Kelly B’s Sauce (we like the Spicy option for a more robust soup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 large pot
- In the pot, melt your butter and add the onion, chicken stock, can of whole tomatoes, Kelly B’s sauce, garlic, and salt. We recommend making the soup on a stove so you can quickly control the heat changes.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat, allowing everything to simmer (uncovered) for 30-40 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the onions are soft.
- Take the pot off the stove and blend everything together into a creamy consistency.
- Now it’s time for the grilled cheese. Paint the first thick slice with melted butter and grill over medium, indirect heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Place two or more slices of cheddar cheese on the unbuttered side of the bread and put the sandwich together.
- Paint the top of the second slice of bread with melted butter and turn the sandwich over. Grill the new side for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the sandwich and cut diagonally to create two perfect-for-dipping triangles.
- Dunk your triangle of cheesy, grilled goodness into your new favorite soup and take a bite. Who knew your grill could create such awesome comfort food? Oh, that’s right. We did.
Pro tip: Avoid acid reflux and add a pinch of sugar to the soup. This helps reduce the acidity of the tomatoes.