Put your cast iron skillet skills to the test with this sweet recipe. Cornbread is the kinds of classic side dish that adds a bit of comfort and soul to your meal. Pair it with chili, stew, or a pot of ham and beans for an awesome flavor combination.
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- Fire up the grill to low heat and place a 12-inch cast iron skillet on the grill to warm up.
- Mix the cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the buttermilk, egg, and melted butter in a medium bowl.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the large bowl of dry ingredients and stir.
- Pour the vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon of softened butter into the hot skillet on the grill. Coat the bottom and sides of the skillet completely with the butter and oil to prevent the cornbread from sticking.
- Pour the batter into the hot skillet.
- Allow the cornbread to cook over medium heat, covered, for about 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Mix the honey with 4 tablespoons of softened butter and brush the mixture on the cooked cornbread.
Pro tip: Sprinkle in shredded sharp cheddar cheese and chopped jalapenos to add an extra kick to this recipe.